Diet Culture and Sustainable Lifestyles

February 22, 2019
Lucy Mecklenburgh

At Results with Lucy, we want to encourage our members to adopt long-lasting changes to their lifestyles, not short-term quick fixes that don’t work. There are so many buzz-words and phrases around that most of us don’t know what to trust as the truth for looking after our health, and what to avoid 🚫

Here, we hope to clear up some misunderstandings around common diet culture buzz words and steer you in the right direction for a long and healthy lifestyle!

Detox 🍋

What this ultimately means, is that a company or individual is selling a product designed to ‘clean out your system’. Well guess what?! Your body does this all by itself… for free! Fancy that! It is the job of your liver and kidney to clean out your body of anything that is not needed or no good for you.


Superfoods 🥑

Superfoods are usually promoted as being:





Leafy greens


Whilst these are all sources of excellent nutrition for us; there are many brands now available, trying to up-sell the very same products we can buy readily in our supermarkets for a lot less cost. Eating healthily and fueling ourselves with the correct food does not have to be expensive.


Cheat Days and Off Plan Meals 📆

Having an ‘off-plan’ meal or a ‘cheat’ day suggests that a restrictive diet or heavily controlled pattern of eating is the norm. It demonises food groups and certain meals to us which is not good for our physical or mental health. At Results with Lucy we promote an 80/20 lifestyle: eat well 80% of the time, and then if you happen to enjoy the stuff that we know is not so nutritious for us the other 20% of the time, you can’t go far wrong!


"Fighting the war on obesity!" 💣

An individual’s weight and physical appearance is the most imperfect way to measure a person’s health. By adding the tag-phrase ‘fighting the war on obesity’ makes you buy into the product even further! You are fighting a war! You are contributing to a mass-effort to fight back against something. Wrong. You are often buying into a product or service designed to make the seller money. No more than that. Of course, we want to address unhealthy obesity, but to do this, we must approach it in a healthy, sustainable way.


Here are our top tips for beating 💥🥊 the buzz-words and finding your own flow…!


🌱 Find Your Flow 1: When searching for a healthy living plan, find the one that works best for you! Take a look at your current lifestyle, routine and commitments and map your healthy living around your life. You are setting yourself up to fail if you try to work your life around a restrictive diet plan or gruelling workout schedule.


🌱 Find Your Flow 2: Be spend-savvy. You do not need to go out and buy loads of new equipment to work out with, or loads of new superfoods all at once. Try one or two new recipes each week and only buy the ingredients again if you like what you’ve tried! You do not also need to buy every piece of workout equipment available on the market… Find the type of exercise or workouts you most enjoy, and invest in equipment to suit your workout preferences.


🌱 Find Your Flow 3: Planning is key. It is something that we advise our members of over and over again, but planning really is the key to maintaining the lifestyle you want! If you’re being spend-savvy and only purchasing the foods you need for your meal plan for the week, you can’t go far wrong! Get some freezer favourites as healthy back-ups, as well as planning meals which will do you a couple of days in a row.


🌱 Find Your Flow 4: Change your voice. The person we spend the most time with is ourselves! By changing up the way in which that voice in our head speaks to us, will work wonders for you in being able to maintain your chosen lifestyle. Instead of saying to yourself ‘I can’t have that’ or ‘I have to eat well and workout to stay healthy’; try saying something like: ‘I don’t eat that’ or ‘My health is a priority to me’. Change your mindset to sustain your healthy lifestyle.


👉🏽 Click here to find out more about how Results with Lucy can help you sustain YOUR healthy lifestyle with a free trial! 👈🏽

Lucy Mecklenburgh
Found & Fitness Guru

Lucy founded Results with Lucy to help ladies transform their health & lives. 

Sign up to our newsletters

Marketing by
Releated Articles

All blog comments are checked prior to publishing